TV I'm not sure what else to do with this. Whilst researching for the above piece about Channel 4's new series 'The Book Group' I googled myself what I think is a transcript of an internal meeting about the channel's future entertainment plans and it makes for interesting reading. It isn't complete either, but it does show how accurate 'People Like Us' and 'The Office' were in capturing the meetings culture. One particular quote sticks out. I mean we love 'Smack The Pony', but do they?

"These things follow on from the fact that you are dealing with someone who has a vision. It sounds terribly idealistic but it is actually true and if you look at something like Smack The Pony which is about to hit our screens with series three, you know, it's done terribly well. It's won two Emmy's and we shout about it a lot and of course the programmes, I will be the first to admit, can be a variable quality but it is a pretty strong series and its done extremely well for us." (my italics)

I'm sure the girls would be happy to hear that. Although it's perhaps unfair to signal that piece in particular, as it's the only negativity in was is a very passionate piece which underlines how the channel has changed it's emphasis over the years, from an operator who'll throw any old tat up on the screen sometimes ('Something For The Weekend') to a place which really tries to nurture new talent. It does get a few digs in at the BBC, although they are correct. As I've mentioned before, Auntie does have a habit of find new kids with new ideas and then not satisfying their creative needs...

No comments: