Film One of my favourite films of the 1990s was the low budget 'Walking and Talking', an ensembe piece set in New York with younger versions of Liev Schrieber, Catherine Keener, Anne Heche and Todd 'In The Bedroom' Field. It was funny and sad and told you everything you needed to know about the importance of knowing what people are like, not what they looked like. Hadn't seen the director Nicole Holofcener's name on any credits lately and I was getting worried that like so many indie film maker's she'd be burnt out by the process of making her first feature film. It turns out she's been doing television ('Sex in the City' and the US version of 'Cold Feet') but now she's back with second feature, 'Lovely & Amazing' and Catherine Keener is back:
"Having worked with Catherine [Keener] before, I certainly felt more comfortable. I think she felt she could trust me right away. I wrote the part for her. She had more confidence coming in and whatever she would bring would be right. I also learned about different ways she liked to be directed, so it’s definitely beneficial and easier to work with someone more than once."
The most telling quote from the piece somehow crystalises how unsatisfying tv directing can be and how people who work there are always wanting to have some kind of creative control:
"Directing others’ writing can be good and bad, depending on the material. The Sex and the City scripts are so good that it was a pleasure and I just wanted to do well for the writers. And they are on set enough so that I know when I’m doing well, or I can ask them questions. It’s hard to work on a television show when the script is only okay, and I have to drum up enough enthusiasm to get people through the day and make it look great."
It's a nice candid quote. Good to see you back Nicole. How is the UK distribution deal going on the film or will I be visiting the door of Play.com again?

No comments: