Rest My unofficial Cameron Crowe retrospective continued tonight with 'Jerry Maguire'. For ages something bothered me about one of the shots in the film. I didn't look anything like the rest of it. It's the one were Zellwegger runs out of the house barefoot to meet Cruise in the street. Unlike the rest of the movie it has a look of magic realism to it. The audio commentary answered the question. It's a homage to 'My So-Called Life', in particular, the scene in the pilot when Brian has finished walking Angela to her house after she's been dropped off by the police. Crowe says it's one of his favourite TV shows. In fact Wiinnie Holtzman who wrote the thing appears with his mother in the 'you complete me' scene in the living room at the end. I think we may have found a director for the reunion film. It's only a matter of time now ...

No comments: