Music Tonight's World Music class about Gender reminded me of something. It was last summer while I was volunteering at the Commonwealth Games. I think it was about the fifth day of the netball competition in the Manchester Evening News Arena and Fiji were playing Sri Lanka for 4th and 5th place. I was up on the press tribune. It was a disturbingly slow match, the kind were I didn't mind the results appearing to awaken you from the mailais that was gripping. Suddenly, from up in the gods, unnoticed until then, the Fijian Rugby Team began to sing. It was deep and low and sounded like history catching up and bringing you it's riches. Although play continued on the court it seemed irrelevant as this extra ordinary sound pervaided the air, the audience began to clap in time with the performers and suddenly two spectacles were fighting for everyone's attention. As they finished, the announcer thanked them, we all applauded and the team obliged us with an encore.

No comments: