Books Sometimes you want to write something, it's just bursting out of you and you want everyone to read it. That's half the point of a weblog I suppose, it's ego publishing, it's putting your words up on a screen and hoping that someone might like it. You might have noticed that I haven't posted so many reviews of late; it's because it became clear that I wasn't actually saying anything new compared to other online journalists. That I might as well be saying This is Good or This is Bad. There are only so many ways of describing the style of an actor or a director so I end up banging on about structure, which is touch dull sometimes.

So I'm experimenting with something new. I'm attempting to write the review in the style of the thing. When I looked at Adaptation the other week, I wrote myself into the review much as Charlie Kaufman wrote himself into his film. Yesterday I reviewed the two Elizabeth Wurtzel books Prozac Nation and More, Now, Again imagining the book to be the person telling me her story and allowing me to also talk about how I've been feeling the past few weeks in her kind of confessional style. I wanted to keep it as vague as possible, but it hadn't occured to me some people hadn't read the books. So if anyone thought it was actually about real events, sorry. Whilst I've always fantasised about being married to a writer being able to read the work before anyone else as I go to work so she can work, it's not happened yet.

If it has peaked anyone's interest as a companion I thought I would offer these links to some Elizabeth Wurtzel material:

Essays Vashti [from Bold Type] and Why I Love Britney [from The Guardian]

Extracts Self Harming from Prozac Nation; from Bitch, The Introduction, Movies, With photos and also a section from the companion volume The Bitch Rules. From More, Now, Again she talks about Florida and
Drugs.

Readings In case you wondered what she sounded like, here she is reading excerpts from Bitch, her short story Alex from the anthology Full Frontal and excerpts from her latest book Radical Sanity.

Interviews With Bold Type, Oxford Student, CNN, The Boston Pheonix on the publication of Bitch. With CNN, iVenus, Entertainment Tonight and USA Today on the publication of More, Now, Again.

Also a comment from her editor Betsy Lerner, A Life In Dust Jackets, a Modern Humorist parody and The Guardian's Digested Read of Now, More, Again

No comments: