Film Well wasn't that the biggest 'Huh?' in awards history.
"And the Bafta goes to ... Peter ..."
"Yeaa ..."
"Weir."
".... au huh?" Polite applause.
Unfortunately we didn't get a shot of Peter Jackson at this moment, so we didn't get to see how far he stood up, but it must have been really tricky for him. It was about the only award all night I didn't totally agree with (although I haven't seen Master and Commander yet but I can't imagine Weir had as much floating about his head at Jackson did and besides he's an old hand).

Actually the Baftas 2004 was a night of anomalies. For example, Val Kilmer. He might well be making a film at the moment but it hasn't been released yet so we don't actually know if its a classic -- and if his beard was any kind of indication. Couldn't Orange pursuade anyone else to give out their audience award? I'm sure Alicia Silverstone is a lovely person, but again her last film was Branagh's Shakespeare's Love's Labour's Lost and that was five years ago. I hear she doing well in tv in the US at the moment, which is nice, but it made the ceremony feel ... dated, especially when Stephen Fry listed Batman and Robin as one of her films. Speaking of Fry, why did he (a) decide to borrow film reviewer Mark Kermode's hair for the evening and (b) go into that admittedly funny routine about the colon? I almost expected Hugh Laurie to appear from somewhere ready for a rerun of one of their old sketches.

But it has spurned me on to wanting to see Lost in Translation again. It's out on Region One DVD I see. How tempting.

No comments: