Computers Every now and then when I've been using the computer for a while an odd smell seems to develop in the room -- a sort of musty smell which goes away when I turn everything off and leave the room for a while. I may not be dreaming as Wired discovers:
"This will be a great surprise to everyone who uses a computer," said Ted Smith, director of the Toxics Coalition. "The chemical industry is subjecting us all to what amounts to chemical trespass by putting these substances into use in commerce. They continue to use their chemicals in ways that are affecting humans and other species."
The article continues with enough long words to frighten the bejesus out of me then ...
"The levels in the dust are enough to raise a red flag, but not enough to create a crisis," said Dr. Gina Solomon, senior scientist at the Natural Resources Defense Council and assistant professor of medicine at University of California, San Francisco. "I have an old computer monitor in front of me now, and I'm not about to throw it away. But when I get a new one, it darn well will be free of these chemicals."
Apparently post 2002 machines should be OK. I bought my computer in 2002. I'm looking at it now in much the same way as the Big Brother UK producers are possibly looking at Kitten right now.

No comments: