'In the midnight hour ...'

Life At the midnight hour, when does one day start and the next begin? I don't know what time this'll be date stamped to, but as I write it's eight minutes to midnight. In seven minutes I'll be entering the sixth of October. Once every year I can track these things -- when I stay up through the night for The Oscars -- each time I wonder at what time I'm moving from the night before to the next morning. Is it daybreak -- and if that's the case, how come if some nutter accidentally rings at 2am I'll scream at them for 'waking me up at two in the morning' when by that same token of confusion it's still also in the middle of the night? So in four minutes, can I say that Wednesday morning, because for some people, who are in bars or dancing, it's still Tuesday night. Two minutes. One minute. I've been thinking. It must be some kind of perception of time. It just depends what you're doing and who you're doing it with. Midnight. It feels like tomorrow morning. So I'll leave it at that.

No comments: