“How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Life How are we feeling? As the autumn turns to winter I'm feeling it more than usual, as the nights drop by earlier each day and each morning is greeted by a very gray looking sky I can feel myself getting ever more unimpressed, not necessarily short tempered as slightly lost. This of course happens every year, but even with work and keeping myself busy around that, I just feel as though I'm missing something. Of course, there are all of things that many people my age do have, a relationship, a family, a mortgage, a car, a cat or a dog, responsibilities in general, but it's really not that. I'm missing something that's not related to any of that. It's like I'm a block of wood floating on a stream, with a world below that it only touches along the edges and surfaces, which is about to head into a river, rushing ever faster with the tide into a lake, with a heavy rainfall pushing it downwards into the deep just now and then.

3 comments:

Rob said...

November is a bit of a low point, isn't it? I do the National Novel Writing Month, which helps me to concentrate on something other than the encroaching grey. Creativity helps. So does drinking.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure there's a coloumn in Private Eye for this sort of stuf . . .

Anonymous said...

Independence? You make 'responsibility' sound rather trite, when what it really amounts to is people trying to strike out on their own, away from the confines of their parents - asserting their individuality, whether it be decorating their first home how *they* want it, or raising children the way *they* want to. It's not boring, or some sort of dull 'norm' - it's life.