Superlambanana-on-and-on #1

Life I went hunting today. My feet hurt. My knees hurt. There are pains in the spaces behind my knees. On my back. And shoulders. Today I managed to shoot forty-four of the beasties and walked right around Liverpool, from Exchange Flags to the Metquarter, from Liverpool One to Jamaica Street. None of them moved and most of them seem to have selected the most picturesque parts of the city as their habitat.

I’ve been hunting Superlambananas.

It’s one of the reasons I decided to invest in a digital camera and it’s become another one of my mad fool challenges since unlike every right and sane person, I’m visiting and photographing them in the numerical order they appear on the official map. The couple of people I’ve told on my travels look at me understandably agog. Now and then they’ll say something like ‘That’s a good idea’, clearly humouring this loony. On Saturday I worked through the first twenty-one and today from twenty-two to sixty-eight.

This is not how the map was designed. Often the numbers are in slightly random order which means ignoring one lamb whilst I stagger up a hill to another. Having almost completed the city centre today, I’m going to have to make bus rides to all over the rest of suburban Liverpool before I can take shots of some creatures much closer to home. Luckily, the works which have been installed in London Euston and Moel Famau National Park are at the very bottom of the list.

It’s the perfect way to practice using my new camera, trying out the settings, working out which is best for interiors and exteriors and when to use a flash. There’s a rather good option for taking shots of flowers which brings out the colours of the superlambananas. I’ll be posting the pictures to flickr and writing about each one when I’ve the time. The notes for the first, Super ‘WiFi’ lambananafon, include my usual a rash statement of intent except, and this is important, I couldn’t really say why I’m doing it. For the challenge. Because I should. Or just because.

No comments: