a cathartic cry

Precisely none of the films I voted for are in the Empire Magazine's Top 500, so job done. It's actually a very intelligent and knowledgeable list; Costa-Gravas's Z is as high as 148 and Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev is 36, which is frankly remarkable. I won't say what come's top, but I will say that someone has other ideas.

The International Association of Tie-In Writers
I wonder if any of Doctor Who's journeymen are members. Includes this range of articles on topics such as hammering out Murder She Wrote novels.

Free market ideology is far from finished
This is nearly a week old, a things have moved on a bit since then, but Klein's prose is always worth reading. Some it is like poetry: "During boom times, it's profitable to preach laissez faire, because an absentee government allows speculative bubbles to inflate. When those bubbles burst, the ideology becomes a hindrance, and it goes dormant while big government rides to the rescue. But rest assured: the ideology will come roaring back when the bailouts are done."

Large Hadron Particle Collider Launch: Official Schedule Of Events

Peanut Butter, This What?
"My grasp of Malay/Indonesian is shaky, not having done it in school, and with the sentence structures of a two year old and the vocabulary of a three year old, it’s frustrating to understand bits and nothing else. Though my dedicated efforts in reading signboards in Malaysia mean my abilities in this language are slowly improving (Me: “What’s faedah?!”, on an insurance signboard. Her: “Say it again! Hahaha!” Me: “Frown!”) it still counts for nothing. If anything at all I feel like an idiot. Watching TV affirmed this. I understood one in ten words. So an Indonesian comedy program, which I’m sure was very funny to the native audience, sounded to me like this: “Where!” “Here!” “There!” “Who!” “Mosquito” (Audience: “Hahahaha!”)"

Book Notes - Juliana Hatfield ("When I Grow Up: A Memoir")
Is it possible to say that you're a fan of someone on the basis of a single song? Hatfield's "Make It Home" from the My So-Called Life soundtrack has been the source of a cathartic cry on more than one occasion. I don't think she's recorded anything better.

No comments: