completely misjudged

Travel The London tube map reworked so that it reflects the geographical truth. Then rendered using the Google Maps API. It's predictably fascinating and explains why I seemed to spend so much time walking on my last visit to the capital having relied on the classic design and completely misjudged the distances between stations and where they were in relation to the sights for seeing.

Meanwhile, the increasingly addictive Creative Review blog offers a history of the Paris Metro map. Unlike the lucid two-tone identifiers on some London lines, the Paris map utilises just slightly different shades of pink for three of the lines. Inevitably, when I had to deal with something that complicated I got lost and ended up at the opposite end of the city than I was intending. At least I managed do some shopping in a nice suburb that I would have missed otherwise.

I can only imagine what would have happened if I'd had to deal with the 1936 version, which looks like a spider's web. I'd probably still be riding around now.

No comments: