Watching all of Woody Allen's films in order: Pussycat, Pussycat, I Love You (1970)

Then See below.

Now The next film in production featuring a Woody Allen credit was Pussycat, Pussycat, I Love You (though it wasn't released until the following year). He's given a screenplay link by the imdb but the Stig Bjorkman book ignores its existence as does my other main source, Stephen J Spignesi's The Woody Allen Companion.

My impression is that it's partly a courtesy because he originated the ideas in What's New Pussycat? of which this is part sequel, part remake in a tradition that carries on to this day with horror films in the straight to dvd market (see Carrie 2, S Darko etc). It certainly wasn't for publicity purposes. His name doesn't appear on the poster.



This detailed glowing review of Lalo Schifrin's soundtrack includes a plot synopsis and it sounds like a cheaper rerun of the first film with Ian McShane in for Peter O'Toole and a Hollywood setting to keep costs down.

I can't tell you what it's really like because it hasn't been released on vhs or dvd. I had considered beginning an international search to track down a copy for completion sake, but then I read this review at the imdb ...
"I sat there with my jaw practically hanging open as I watched this awful movie. [...] It is sleazy, creepy and pointless. Worst of all, just not funny. A true ripoff. For a much better movie with Ian McShane as a hairy-chested Lothario, see "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium". It's also very silly and sexist and dated, but at least you won't feel like you have to take a shower after you see it."
... and watched the trailer ...



Fuck, no.

No comments: