"Elaine's to me was Elaine"

Elaine's 86'ed

Film Oh my goodness, how did this pass me by?
"MANHATTAN institution Elaine's recently closed after decades. New York magazine asked Woody Allen if he had been to the restaurant after its namesake Elaine Kaufman died in December last year. "I didn't go after she passed away because Elaine's to me was Elaine and, uh, despite the unrelenting bad food I went there every night for decades, and it was such a fabulous experience that, um, my theory was that if the food had been better, people would have gone only to eat. But keeping the food at a certain low level, everybody went for conversation and meeting people and chatting, and that was the success of the place."
RIP Elaine. I might have to watch Manhattan again as a mark of respect. Or Morning Glory which also filmed there. Here are photos of the closing night (on flickr).

No comments: