“Let’s not take the vacation. Make a movie instead.”

Film Joss Whedon filmed his Much Ado About Nothing while on vacation from The Avengers:
"ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: This announcement took people by surprise to say the least. How did this all come together?
JOSS WHEDON: Well, it’s not a bit secret that I’ve done these [Shakespeare] readings before, and I always had a vague notion of shooting Much Ado. But I didn’t really have a take on it. And then, for some reason, I kinda sorta did. As we were finishing The Avengers in New York, my wife and I were planning our vacation for our 20th anniversary. And she said, “Let’s not take the vacation. Make a movie instead.” I was like, “I’m not even sure if I can adapt the script, cast the movie, and prep it in a month.” And she was like, “Well, that’s your vacation time, so you do it.” And so I did.
The accompanying photos suggest that although this things was rushed together (some actors were only asked if they'd like to appear just weeks before production) it has been gestating for years. Perhaps this'll be a series. Perhaps we'll see a Hamlet.

No comments: