"out of your shell"

Life Of course, one of my concerns about trying to find something to do next is that I'm naturally an introvert which isn't really conducive to selling yourself. Plenty of this Guardian book extract from a couple of days ago chimes with my way of thinking, especially in relation to how we're treated by out and out extroverts:
"If you're an introvert, you also know that the bias against quiet can cause deep psychic pain. As a child you might have overheard your parents apologise for your shyness. Or at school you might have been prodded to come "out of your shell" – that noxious expression that fails to appreciate that some animals naturally carry shelter everywhere they go, and that some humans are just the same. "All the comments from childhood still ring in my ears, that I was lazy, stupid, slow, boring," writes a member of an email list called Introvert Retreat. "By the time I was old enough to figure out that I was simply introverted, it was a part of my being, the assumption that there is something inherently wrong with me. I wish I could find that little vestige of doubt and remove it."
Which isn't to say I haven't considered whether I'm a shy extrovert, especially since for all of my procrastination in life, I tend to try and get work related projects completed as quickly (if carefully) as I'm able.  But having taken the quiz which accompanies the article, it seems unlikely.

No comments: