"Construction began in mid-1941 and the majority of the work was completed by August 1942. Initially the plan was for the airfield to be used by Operational Training units from RAF Bomber Command, but following America's entry into the war it was earmarked for use by the United States Army Air Force (USAAF) for troop carrying operations. (See also Membury airfield).
"However before the Americans arrived the aerodrome was occupied by an RAF training unit, equipped with Airspeed Oxfords, who taught the pilots the rudimentary skills needed to control multi-engined aircraft. The unit was Number 15 (Pilot) Advanced Flying Unit (15 [P] AFU) and whilst at Ramsbury large numbers of British, Australian, Canadian, New Zealand and South African pilots passed through the school. Ramsbury also had its own Women's Auxiliary Air Force (WAAF) contingent, who were employed as parachute packers, cooks, drivers, storekeepers and administrators."
History RAF Ramsbury was a key component of the allied effort during World War II: