Jonathan Slinger on Hamlet.

Jonathan Slinger talks to Lyn Gardener at The Guardian about his upcoming appearance at the RSC:
"This is the quote that's going to hang me," he says, "but I'm going to try to achieve what people say is impossible. I want to make him a psychologically understandable Hamlet. I do honestly think that's what Shakespeare wrote: a very complex person. And I'm in a slightly win-win situation: if I achieve it, then amazing. And if I don't – and depending to what degree I don't – the worst that people will say is that it was a wholly unreasonable ambition because nobody has ever done it. It will just serve as further proof to those who say it's impossible."
Glancing across at my sidebar, I'd wonder if a few of his predecessors would take issue with that.

1 comment:

  1. BARRY HAYNES10:11 am

    Saw the opening night last night and it has to be the best Hamlet ever! Jonathan Slinger did achieve the impossible and pulled off the most eclectic, unclich├ęd Hamlet ever. The whole performance was perefctly controlled and natural and most convincing. Robin Soans,as Polonius, was also first-rate in a non-caricatured perfomance. And Charlotte Cornwell as the Queen, and Greg Hicks as the King, and Pippa Nixon as Ophelia all excellent. A first-rate piece of direction and production.

    ReplyDelete