Louis CK on Woody Allen.

Film Really sweet story from Louis on being cast for his small role in Woody's next one, Blue Jasmine:
"It just came out of nowhere. I got this e-mail: Woody Allen wants you to come in for something. I’ve been waiting for that e-mail my whole life. I’m not going to pretend I’m above that. I went into his office and read for a part that Andrew Dice Clay ended up getting. Woody said: “I know you can act. I just don’t know if this is the kind of guy that you are. This is a very mean guy, and you’re not a mean guy.”

"And I read it, and I was like, yeah, I’m not getting the part. I can be working class. I can’t hit my wife. So I’ll talk the way I would say these things and I won’t get the part, but I’ll leave with my head up high. And that’s precisely what happened. But I was very emotional, because I had just met Woody and he was very kind to me.

"Two weeks later I was told, “His assistant is bringing something to your apartment.” It was some pages from the script and a letter from him. And it said: “You were too sweet a guy to do the other one, but this is one you could do. If you don’t want to do this, we’ll do something, someday.” So I read the lines, I was laughing out loud. So I hand-wrote him a letter saying unequivocally yes, and sent it off."
This rather relaxed, modest approach is probably why Allen persists in being able to attract such amazing casts.

No comments: