David Campbell.

History Reprinted from the Tennessee Historical Magazine, Mexican war letters of Col. William Bowen Campbell of Tennessee, written to Governor David Campbell of Virginia, 1846-1847:
"I write today in great haste, having got to a new place, and as yet not fixed up with any comfort and 9 companies of my Regt. here, the remainder daily expected. A portion of the regular force under Genl. Worth moved off two days ago toward Monterey will go 80 miles and await the arrival of all the force that Genl. Taylor takes to Monterey.  I expect that my Regt. will be in the expedition to Monterey and Saltillio. We have no definite news about the Mexican army or force at Monterey.  Genl. Taylor is a very plain man, agreeable and decided, but he is evi- dently a man of ordinary abiHty. The great jealousy that exists here amongst all the officers and particularly amongst the volunteers makes the service disagreeable, yet I think I am so prudent that I will be able to get along without much josteling. I will write you before I leave here more in detail the plan of the campaign, etc. My health is excellent."

No comments: