Work So I finally handed my notice in at work on Saturday. It was a fantastically liberating experience of course, but I think the one aspect which gave me a lump was that I realised I still had the capacity to surprise people. One poor chap from my work team offered the kind of look as if the whole nature of reality had changed in a matter of seconds. I suppose because I've been there for so long (in my job, a year is very, very long time), I've been given extra responsibilities and people are forever asking me for help. I think management where even expecting me to join their number at some stage. One of those types. For him and a lot of people the fact I'll be going in three weeks time simply doesn't make any sense. Why would I throw in that job with so many prospects? It means starting again elsewhere doesn't it?

But then I tell the reasons. Which creates even more surprises. I've actually been quite secretive in work about my personal life (about as secretive as I am here about work). So when they ask the 'Why?' question, and I fish about for coherent answers...
Me: It's the travelling.
Them: Why were are you from?
Me: Liverpool
Them: That's where you're from orginally.
Me: No that's where I live...
At which point the men (and some of the women) tend to have a look in there eye as though someone has shot a football between their goalposts directly into the back of their net ...
Them: So what are you doing working in Manchester?
I tell them that it was the only job which was available at the time and this seems to calm their nerves. A couple give a vague look of admiration as though I'm actually doing the one thing they're living to do. On or two congratulate me as though it's some great achievement, even more so when I explain that I haven't got anything lined up.

So here I am (almost) looking into the abyss again. I'm alright for now. I've some savings and I'll be busy over July and August moving house and with the Commonwealth Games. This is going to be interesting ...

No comments: