Life I've been life laundrying today losing some of the stuff I'm just not going to need anymore. At the bottom of one of the boxes, I found what was the worst rejection letter I received after submitting some material for the disapproval of a host of radio producers at the end of the Nineties. Glancing through the pages, I'm embarassed to say that overall they aren't all that great but my concept seems sound, a love story set in the near future, each episode playing on the basic genre and structure of film. Anyway to cut the chase, so that I can drip cream into the gaping open wound, I thought I'd reproduce the letter here. Names and networks have been omitted to save myself from being sued or something:
"I looked at these with interest but I’m afraid my response is a big no. Your ambition is huge which I applauded but I cannot see how a radio drama series which relies so much on references to film, would work for our [the channel] audience. Your work has the feel of a frustrated screen play writer, when what I want from my writers is a real understanding of the potential of radio as a medium, as well as a knowledge of the editorial considerations of the network. Your proposal shows neither I’m afraid. Your characters are too young to be of real interest to our listeners and quite simply not enough happens in each episode to keep the dramatic tension alive and kicking. You just cannot assume everyone has your knowledge and interest in cinema, or in the ups and downs of a couple of teenagers in love.
By the way I was referencing such unpopular and obscure films as Blade Runner, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Star Wars, When Harry Met Sally, Back to the Future, Annie Hall and Amadeus. And it featured a multiple flashback structure which I've never heard on radio before or since. My time will come, I tell you. It will. Bwah, hah, hah.

No comments: