'Nice shot of whiskey and sit down...'

Photography


'Nice shot of whiskey and sit down...'
Originally uploaded by feelinglistless.

Deep breath. This is the last of the mystery photos drawn from the miscellaneous box of slides. From now on, it'll be my own messy past and present appearing here. This is a perfect photo. The decor it evokes a time, but so does the act of sitting reading a broadsheet newspaper in the evening.

I never knew either of my grandfathers but this is always how I imagined them to be. I like that he has just a brief smile on his face as though he's spotted that his team won on Saturday or the small nestegg of shares has popped up a bob or two. But equally it's the kind of shot you might take when you've first unboxed a camera and you want to take a shot of something so that you can hear the click of the shutter for the first time. Captured in frame, those flowers will never die, and that's magic enough.

As the one person at flickr to comment tom de plume says: "makes me want to know the story, and then the story behind that story..." Which has been the point of publishing these photos all along. I hope you've enjoyed them.

No comments: