Clothes

Life Yesterday was about clothes.

I visited The Walker Liverpool's new A Passion For Fashion exhibition. Although I can understand why they're popular, costume exhibitions leave me generally fairly cold. Hanging as they do from mannequins, the items always seem very lifeless and cold to me -- whilst they can be beautiful, clothes are to be worn and only really present their true lushness on a human body.

Looking through this collection of Emily Tinne I understood intellectually the fine needlework and what the items demonstrate about the time in which they were created I couldn't focus on them in the same way that I might a painting or sculpture which fulfill their potential in and of themselves. I pondered what might happen if I working in my dream job as an arts correspondent and had been given the job of reviewing this exhibition -- would I be able to present a true opinion of what I'd seen despite my prejudices?

As I passed through the station I saw about twenty women in bright pink t-shirts with a photograph of themselves printed on the back.

Last night's Doctor Who was a costume extravaganza, and although I knew that the items on display were fake I cooed more over them more than the exhibition. Sophie Myles' dresses in particular looked amazing, although apparently some of them were cinematic hand-me-downs -- a golden number originating on Helen Mirren during The Madness of King George. In the lighting though, they sparkled. Really, after a shakey start this series is going from strength to strength, somehow managing to fuse the traditional and experimental in amazing and quite extraordinary ways.

I found a hole in my favourite jeans.

Last night too was Chris's birthday drink. Everyone piled into The Flute on Hardman Street and tried to talk over the loudness of the music and din of other people talking. Clothing questions occured. Is a bin bag turned into a sort of waist coat sort of hanging off a girl's shoulders acceptably fashionable now? How about a white jacket over black shirt and heavily ripped jeans?

No comments: