He wasn't sure.

Life To offer something of a clue to my vocation, I only work nine months of the year. I get paid for the twelve which is a double edged sword for various reasons. Look it's complicated. Anyway, so all you need to know is at this time of year we have a last day of work and as far as we knew it was tomorrow.

Then we got to work today and found out that as far as people who aren't us knew it was last week. Which meant we'd turned up without actually needing to. I have done this before -- misread a rota, misunderstood a shift swap and there I am in a manager's office looking foolish. At least on this occasion everyone was there and no one could really decide who was right.

Half an hour after reaching work I'm walking away again. The feeling is not unlike one of those days as school when you'd arrive and the heating was broken or the toilets had frozen over or the teachers were on strike and you were sent home. It didn't seem right -- I felt like I was skiving. I still feel like I should be going to work tomorrow. I had nothing planned for this weekend. I didn't really get the time back either because I didn't know what do with it so couldn't use it to the best advantage. What to do...

I went to John Lewis to ask about one of their bargain computers. I'd called them yesterday and they'd said there was a £250 Hewlett Packard desktop pc on display in the Liverpool shop. Inevitably they had some in stock but no demonstration models and the salesman who served me was really helpful but couldn't tell me much about it, other than that it was fast enough to run Vista. He didn't even really know how fast the chip inside was. I told him I already had a 1.6 giger and he said it might be the same. He wasn't sure.

Anyone ever order a computer from Dell? How did that go?

4 comments:

Annette said...

I have a Dell Dimension 5150 that I ordered in 2006. One nice thing about ordering a computer is that there are a lot of different options you can choose for the computer as far as screen size, memory, etc. Mine is pretty basic and it's a great computer, I haven't had many problems with it. Well, except that the CD drive is a little temperamental. You may want to do some research on that. Also mine came with McAfee Security Center already loaded onto it, possibly the most annoying virus software ever invented.

Anonymous said...

Lecturer ?

Stuart Ian Burns said...

Nope. It's good but it's not right. I'll never tell.

Anonymous said...

M16 ? Must be something hot !