does make me rather angry.

Life The comments in this Guardian story about the status of freelancers in the benefits system do make me rather angry not least because most of them seem to have been made by people for whom it has never happened.

One of my previous employers, a few years ago, didn't have their own payroll and so requested/demanded that all of their workers/employees register as freelancers for tax purposes, even though they were being paid a wage.

Some of them already were for this and that reason, but it was a bit of a surprise all round to the rest of us. Not knowing much about anything at the time, and eager to work, I agreed.

It was a temporary position, didn't last very long and I ultimately didn't make very much on the deal other than some good friends. I was also obviously unable to request benefits for the period too. Within a couple of months the work ended and I had to go and sign on ...

... and found myself in the situation outlined, unable to claim benefits initially because of my "freelance" status and faced with welfare office that couldn't compute that I was a freelancer who'd been an employee.

It was eventually resolved, but the appeals process took months during which time I didn't have an income and couple with my working when they need me/decided to give me some work position during my "employment" built up a debt which took me years to pay off.

All of which hopefully explains my reticence to go freelance again. So now you know.

1 comment:

Simon Hedger said...

This is a familiar problem for actors who are both employed and self-employed depending on the employer. I have found it impossible to claim benefits despite going through lengthy periods of no work and having an income that rarely rises above £10,000 a year. It makes life very difficult indeed