it turned into an ambush

TV Author Keris Stainton recently wrote a short column about her Twitter addiction as result of which she was invited to a recording The Vanessa Show she thought to expand on the points made in the column, as an expert on the subject. But as she explains on her blog, it turned into an ambush with Keris effectively held up as a freak:
"The actually interview is pretty much a blur, but I know she started by saying something about how she was amazed that I’d agreed to join them in the real world, something about “isn’t it true that you never even talk on the phone anymore!” and that my husband gets annoyed that I’m online all the time! And that I’m on Twitter when I’m with my kids!"

"I was completely wrong-footed. I remember thinking, “Wow. You bitch.” But at the same time I felt a sort of grudging admiration. She’s a pro. And I was naive. And I knew I was screwed. It’s The Vanessa Show, after all."
Well, yes, but it depends on how the show characterised what Keris's participation was going to be. Plus, because it was recorded and not going out live there probably also wasn't much room to ambush Feltz back by pointing out that all this was only based on her leading questions in the make-up room since that could be censored.

1 comment:

Keris Stainton said...

Thanks for this. I thought afterwards that I could have said something about the make-up room questions, but during the interview it genuinely didn't occur to me. Also, the whole situation was intimidating - I've never been on TV before, there's Vanessa, the crew, the other guests all laughing along - I probably wouldn't have said anything even if I'd thought of it.

And "held up as a freak" made me laugh.