not naming any names

Film As I've discovered when working my way through everything they've produced in their career, one of the problems with some auteurs is their tendency to fade away (not naming any names but I do still have some hopes for You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger). Perhaps because of the creative itch they continue working and working quietly flushing their reputation down the toilet in the process (Topaz).

Which is why, surprisingly, even though he's one of my favourite directors and certainly the most consistent of directors working now, I'm quite pleased that it sounds as though Steven Soderbergh will be going through with his plan to retire from directing. He just doesn't seem to be enjoying it any more:
""When you reach the point where you're, like, 'if I have to get into a van to do another scout I'm just going to shoot myself,' it's time to let somebody else who's still excited about getting in the van, get in the van."
There will be two more films: Liberace starring Damon and Michael Douglas, and Man From U.N.C.L.E. with George Clooney, which from a casting point of view seems like a decent sign off. Unfortunately it also means he'll be curtailing his low budget experiments (begun with Bubble and The Girlfriend Experience).  Maybe.  Itch, itch, itch.

No comments: