"certainly not on our agenda"

Music Tony Palmer writes for The Guardian on his new film about the composer Holst. He has some useful things to say about the BBC's changing commissioning process:
"The BBC had made two previous films about Holst, the first in 1966, in black and white, which stated: "Gustav Holst wrote The Planets, was much influenced by folk song, and, with his friend Ralph Vaughan Williams, came from the Cotswolds." Much of this material was recycled in a 100th birthday film in 1974. I had made several attempts during the last 40 years to interest the remnants of the BBC's music and arts department in a film about Holst, only to be told, "We've done that," or such a film was "certainly not on our agenda".

"It was therefore to my surprise that 18 months ago I was offered the chance to make my film. The money I was allocated was pitiful – less than I had been given for my film about Britten almost 30 years earlier. But even if it meant remortgaging my house (it has), I felt I must set out on the road of exploration."
Once again someone who over and again produces excellent life affirming documentaries and films is left scraping around for funding.  Being prepared to mortgage their house in order to produce new work shows real dedication that should be rewarded.

No comments: