The Feeling Listless Soundtrack 1.0:
Extremis.



Written by Hal
[from: 'Extremis', Virgin, 1997]

Music This is from a time when Gillian Anderson was actually pleased to be working on the most popular sci-fi show in the world and wanted to milk things as much as possible. So as well as introducing ‘Future Fantastic’ (a up-to-date ‘Arthur C. Clarke’s ‘World of Strange Powers’), she was involved in this opus. The lyrics:

Atom by atom, 
Molecular beings, 
Transport me away 
To the place of my dreams. 

A point in space, 
Where time is still, 
Colliding worlds, 
In limbo until 

Extremis 

A melting of minds, 
A cerebral mesh, 
A union of liquid, 
And virtual... flesh. 

Automaton love,
Your caress is pneumatic,
I'm a slave to your touch,
My response automatic.

The circuits burn out, 
And the paradigm shift, 
Its elision, 
My emotions drift. 

Clarity fades, 
And my faculties haze, 
Deep down in formals, 
Hound me for days. 

Extremis. 

Your reasons are noble, 
A quintessence of lust, 
In the arms of angels, 
My dreams turn to dust. 

Extremis. 

I don't want to hear about the future. 
I want to see it, 
I want to feel it, 
I want to taste it. 

There is a tendency to forget that the darkness automatically brings about fear in the world.
But I have already got a piece of the darkness. Trouble begins in the light, if you come around here. 

Extremis.

Glorious really. It should be noted that she’s using her ‘Scully’ accent, not the one we heard on Parkinson the other week. Sadly I was unable to fit on Richard E. Grant narrating a dance version of the ‘To Be or Not To Be’ soliloquy from ‘Hamlet’ – Grant hasn’t been making many Hollywood films lately has he? [Originally written twelve years ago.]

[Commentary: Snark, snark.  There's nothing in this I wouldn't post now I suppose.  Again, I actually bought this on cassette single and CD, just to make sure.  This is the first time I've seen this video, which can be filed safely under, "You wouldn't have gotten away with this if Twitter existed."]

No comments: