Review 2021:
The Christmas Sandwich Reviews:
Starbucks Tis The Season Turkey Sandwich.

Food  Oh Starbucks.  A couple of weeks ago Stuart Heritage from The Guardian said, "nobody has ever travelled to Starbucks specifically to eat a sandwich".  Well, there's a first time for everything.  He didn't like it.  He said it "tastes exactly like every pre-packed chicken-and-stuffing sandwich you have ever bought from a petrol station in a fit of self-loathing" and give it 2/5.  Now that I've eaten what amounts to a lot of those, I have some idea of what he means.  But I also think he was a bit harsh but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Starbucks entered the UK in 1998 after acquiring then rebranding 56 outlets of the Seattle Coffee Company and it's probably about then that I visited my first although for the life of me I can't remember which but ever since it's been my place to go when I need a coffee and a sit down.  It's unfashionable to say this, but I'm a fan.  What attracted me then was just how different it felt to anywhere else on the high street, like stepping into a coffee house in an American film with its light jazz (also available for sale), large cosy chairs and unusual snacks.  

I've had numerous regular Starbucks over the years, visiting often enough for the staff to get to know my drink preference, and although some of the distinctiveness has eroded over the years (CDs no longer on sale) (bucket chairs), I like the predictability of it, the comfort of knowing that when I visit, it'll be the same coffee, served in the same way, usually in a decent atmosphere.  After lockdown subsided last year, the first cafe I visited was the Starbucks at Liverpool One and the beans I use most at home are their decaf espresso.

All of which will be incredibly disappointing to people who champion independent roasters and believe me I do use their services as well.  But as I explained to my Dad recently, if you're a decaf drinker, Starbucks is the only place which produces a decent, rich-tasting cup.  A lot of the indies (and the other chains) offer a much weaker blend which isn't to my taste especially when its been watered down by filling to the top because I've asked for black and I've forgotten to ask them not to (coffee with milk is just too bland for me).

So its with some trepidation, and Stuart's review ringing in my ears, I attacked their Christmas sandwich, but I needn't have worried.  It's gorgeous.  Despite the wedge of spinach in the middle, this is a moist, juicy affair with loads of flavour thanks to the citrus hints in the cranberry sauce and the abundant stuffing which isn't as claggy as it can often be.  I ate it with an americano at the side and they complimented each other perfectly, the sandwich strong enough to hold its own against the brute force bitter spiciness of the Christmas blend.  Worth the £3.90 to eat in?  Shrug emoji.  I enjoyed it.

No comments: