Music I know you've all been waiting for my review of Alanis Morissette's Under Rug Swept. It's been difficult to find the words, which is why I've probably been shying away. Anyone who read my thoughts on Jagged Little Pill will know how much 'Supported Cornered Flatulant Monkey' was a disappointment. Not so 'Rug'. Here we find an album which fuses the lyrical flexibilty and imagery of the first album with a more carefree musical attitude. In fact whilst Natalie Imbruglia seems intent to be going ever further in Alanis' direction, the Canadian is going towards where the Australian began -- although Morissette wouldn't be found 'naked on the floor' (just in pop videos and on her cds). Something which can be listened to in the background quite successfully -- not that it should. As, again, with Pill we have a series of songs which work excellently in isolation. And Morissette's lyrical verbosity is still intact -- I like a challenge when I sing along and here it is -- why have one syllable in a word when six will do? Of course this makes some sound slightly rushed but this can only begat party games ('What the hell is she singing now?' 'Another 21 things I want in a lover' 'Other possible Alanis song titles') So yes, buy. Yes. Quick word about the cover though. Huh? Why does she persist in album covers which hide one of her greatest assets, her eyes? This one looks like something from a bargain bucket PC paint programme. I almost expected the little sticker on the cover to say '100000 clip art picture free!'

No comments: