Links for 2004-10-13 [del.icio.us]

Links for 2004-10-13 [del.icio.us]

  • Do you DVD or dvd?
    Prompted by the Clerks X review on the main weblog. I have gone with the right one?
  • Raimi Super-Sizes Spidey 2.5
    A second extended version of Spider-Man 2 is appearing on DVD next year. It's good to know these things, saves anger and heartache. No really.
  • BBC Three and Four 'poor value'
    At what point can BBC Four stay true to its charter and spirit and get an audience? You say you want fewer arts programmes that "virtually no-one watches". Sounds like the kind of opinion someone who doesn't even watch BBC Four might have.
  • 'Boo Hoo: A Dot Com Story' by Ernst Malmsten, Erik Portanger and Charles Drazin
    Surprisingly relaxed and insightful confessional about the failure of a company which grew too big, too fast before the technology and market were ready for them. The book I read when I was volunteering at the Commonwealth Games in 2002.
  • I Wasn't Even Supposed To Be On This Network
    Clerks: The Animated Series (disclosure: an article written by me)
  • TV Clerks
    Synopsis of the tv pilot which Kevin Smith knew nothing about until one of his actor friends told him about it. Jeff 'Randal' Anderson auditioned for it. As Dante. And believe me, the wrongness doesn't end there.
  • Now, for Your PC: Mac OS X
    I can see why Apple would be concerned about the welfare of their hardware sales, but one lesson they could pick up from games consoles is that if your software is good enough you really can make your money that way. Why haven't they created their own?
  • The 45-minute claim was false
    So basically lots of people died and the BBC was weakened over a misundertanding. Classic.
  • "I will not apologise for removing Saddam Hussein. I will not apologise for the conflict. It was right then, is right now and is essential for the wider security of the region and the world."
    Pick and choose, pick and choose.
  • For your ears only
    In the ear headphones which actively remove all of the noise you hear but the music. At the reasonal price of $850.
  • Film of the Day: Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927)
    About the only silent film which has created an emotional response in me. I laughed, I cried. Well before its time, and still relevant seventy-odd years later.
  • When Employers Google You, It Can Hurt Your Chances
    Admittedly hadn't thought of this. Although I've followed The Rules so although there isn't any widespread employer grumbling there is certainly enough confessional in here to present an unstable front. Oh well. Too late now ...
  • Nick Nolte's Diary
    "I had a strange dream last night. Sammy Shepard and a childhood friend and I were driving a U-haul across a desert...."
  • maggie gyllenhaal.net
    New film "Criminal" coming soon
  • 1 comment:

    Seth T. Hahne said...

    I wanted to post a comment on the MeFi thread but I couldn't create an account - due to what they term "growing pains." In any case, regardless of whether one uses DVD or dvd, the statement that all initialisms are presented in uncials (i.e., in uppercase) is a misapprehension (e.g., aka, which appears in lowercase and without punctuation).

    As far as my preference, I use dvd and cd rather than the larger of the varieties. This usage is not by any means widespread, but I think it is gaining acceptance - especially as internet media grows in popularity.