That Day Time then to see how I did. Every year I make five predictions for the coming year. Here is what I thought last year with the results ...

A Starbucks will open closer to work

Sadly not. The Cafe Nero continues to pollute the atmosphere. There is some redevelopment happening though, so fingers crossed.

More crossover in music across Europe. French, Spanish and German music will start to appear in our pop charts as the kids finally start looking for something different.

Here is the top ten singles of 2004.

1. Band Aid 20 - 'Do They Know It's Christmas'
2. Eamon - 'F**K It (I Don't Want You Back)'
3. DJ Casper - 'Cha Cha Slide'
4. Eric Prydz - 'Call On Me'
5. Usher Ft Lil' Jon & Ludacris - 'Yeah'
6. Michelle - 'All This Time'
7. Anastacia - 'Left Outside Alone'
8. Peter Andre - 'Mysterious Girl'
9. Britney Spears - 'Toxic'
10. Frankee - 'F.U.R.B. (F U Right Back)'

How wrong could I be? But it really is a hideous list though. Two cover versions, a rerelease, a song that 'answers' another song, something by a reality tv show winner and something simply called 'Yeah'. I think the closest we got was Katie Melua. But she really doesn't count...

There will be new governments in the UK and US. Neither will actually be much better or worse than what we have now.

This is disturbing. I think the lack of good music and politics in 2004 may have been all my fault. Sorry.

A second e-commerce boom will begin, with entrepreneurs learning from the mistakes of the past

Hello Google, meet my friend Apple. So I predicted a good year for business. I got something right! (feels great about watching a fish float to the top of a barrel after a bullet wound)

Something really extraordinary is going to happen with long lasting consequences effecting all mankind in a good way for a change

I'm just going to give up on optimism. It makes you feel unhealthy. And judging by that list of predictions, I'm almost afraid to list anything for next year in case I make things even worse. So here we go...

It's going to be a good year for big and small screen science fiction epics.
Globally things are going to get worse before they get better.
A well known celebrity will get divorced in a very public way.
People will learn more about themselves.
My life is going to change in a big way.

I can't get those wrong, surely?

No comments: