something is terribly wrong

Business I've kept quiet about the financial markets, partly because my understanding of what went wrong is hazy at best, but mostly because every time someone covering the story in the media opens their mouth or laptops something scary is communicated. Having studied the 30s depression a bit at university (so that I could write "intelligently" about the themes in Frank Capra's films) though I can see the parallels I can also see how this could get much, much worse.

Then, the money was still fairly isolated and as far as I could tell, it was a number of similar though unconnected shenanigans which amassed together to create the larger problem. Here, everything is interconnected via the web, the ability for the not really but oh so relevant money to shift about the planet much more freely. Up until now, did any of us know how much of our council tax money was invested in Iceland?

So when asked what I thought this week, I said that this could and probably will be awful and that the fall out has the potential to make the depression look like someone not being able to find change for the coffee machine. It's a rubbish and inaccurate analogy but when the generally rather abstract world of the London City and Wall Street are being explained to us laymen, who don't otherwise care, something is terribly wrong.

I've had people say to me, just be happy that you're in work and in work were you are since that's more stable than most things, which isn't very comforting actually since the places were I ultimately want to have a career aren't safe at all and generally quite fragmentary. I know all of that's a bit vague (self imposed blog rules and all that) but suffice to say that as someone who doesn't easy get worried often these days, I'm worried.

No comments: