Review 2006: A Call For Entries

Review 2006 Is it that time already? After the massive success last year I've really been wracking my brain as to what to do next. The idea has been that one year I'd review the year and then the next I'd ask others to contribute -- me to you to me to you. But given that Review 2004 was so, so boring (and took most of that year to organise) I've been wondering where to go next. So ...

A couple of week's ago I applied for a job as a researcher at Schott's Miscellany. I didn't get an interview, but I did receive a lovely rejection letter, written and signed by Ben himself which makes it all the more heartbreaking that I wasn't given the chance. But something that struck me whilst filling in the lovingly crafted application form was that one of my loves is answering questions, either personal, or on topics that require research.

What I'm proposing for Review 2006 is that you send in a question. Any kind of question will do but I guess there will be four categories:

(a) Personal (egotistical). A question about something that has happened this year or something I've written on the blog that you've wondered about but were too afraid to ask.

(b) Trivia. 'How big is the moon?' or 'How fast is the fastest thing that's ever been fast?' that kind of thing.

(c) Review. What do you think of this album/film/book that I like?

(d) Opinion. See if I can work out something you've been ruminating on. 'Why do people who get on buses always stand near the door when others are patently going to get on after them and they'll be blocking the way?' That sort of thing.

(e) Advice. Dear Stuart, I wonder if you could give me advice about this problem I've been having ...

Basically a question about anything.

I'll (hopefully) post one answer a day for the whole of December, and as always, if you have a blog or website I'll present you with a credit.

You see, now that I write those words, I realise the mountain I'm creating for myself. The ulterior motive is that in this time when I don't have much work on it will give me some good writing and research practice and will force me to produce thirty-one short columns some of which will hopefully be good enough to add to the portfolio. And it means that this year I'll be doing all the work and you can just sit back and watch.

You can drop a question off in the comments to this post or via email to feelinglistless@btopenworld.com as soon as possible. In the bizarre event that I get more questions than days I'll double up and try and answer them all -- so don't fear that 'slots' aren't available or whatnot.

Thanks in advance.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cool idea, Stu!

I would love to partake. I will think of an incredible question for you.

Stuart Ian Burns said...

Fantastic. Thanks very much.

Anonymous said...

Here is my question!
Throughout most of The Empire Strikes Back, the Millenium Falcon's hyperdrive is not working (should have gone to Kwik Fit!) so it can't travel faster than light! However, there is a point where they travel from the Anoat System to the Bespin system. Separate Star systems would never be less than a couple of light years apart (I presume!), i.e. at least two years travel even if they could attain just a tiny bit less than light speed! It clearly doesn't take them this long, so is it some sort of 'worm-hole' or curved universe phenomena that they utilise to accomplish their trip? I simply must know! :) Thank you!
Stephen.

Anonymous said...

I only thought of this last night, but I'd be interested to read your musings on the adverts shown on the programmes you watch a lot. There is a point. They must be aimed at a certain type of audience, the people the expect to be watching, but they're often wildly off. What's sort of person do they think you are, and what can be the logic behind those descisions?

I guess this would be a (d) question, or maybe an (a).

Anonymous said...

Dear Stuart...

I've kindly been given a subscription to LoveFilm and while I have a few things I'd like to see I want to make the most of the opportunity and see films I wouldn't otherwise. I have a largely uneducated interest in foreign film, particularly French and Italian - any recomendations? No horror please, just interesting and beautiful films you think are worth watching.

Anonymous said...

dear stuart my question for you is - what are you most afraid of and why? and what have you done to overcome your fears? thanks :-)