“There is more to life than simply increasing its speed.” -- Mahatma Gandhi

Life Sorry about that. Hope no one else is still on dial-up and had issues with the massive download that was the last post. I'm now a customer of the 3 network with a 5Gb, £15 per month mobile broadband contract and so far, so good. Admittedly, the apparent connection of 3.6 mbps looks like a bit of a fantasy and the most of reached is about 1 mbps, but then you have spent the best part of a decade watching some webpages download even slower than it took to multiload an 8-bit computer game from cassette, this seems very speedy indeed.

Not having had anything to do with mobile phone companies much other than speaking to a certain recorded lady on my pay as you go Orange phone I didn't really know what to expect when I walked into the 3 shop on Church Street in Liverpool. I was served by a girl who seemed very tired, very Friday afternoon, but she answered all of my questions patiently and was able to tell me that it didn't really matter which of the free modems to pick -- they all worked well enough -- so I might as well have the really expensive one, the sleek black number which currently sits atop my table on the cable.

I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that if I want to go visit, for example, starwars.com I don't have find something to do for twenty minutes while it finds its feet (actually it's not instantaneous still, but it is a lot faster). I just need to keep an eye on usage. Five gigs seems like a lot at the beginning of the month, but there's a lot of hours and days and podcasts and videos between now and then and the last thing I need to is get to the twenty-fifth and not be able to check my email because I was spending too much time on the fourth watching some new Doctor Who trailer over and over and over and over again. Or this video which only make sense to people I went to school with:



Or if you've read this post from Mystery Music March/April/May. Glad to know it still happens, though the blazers are far bluer than they were in my day.

1 comment:

Annette said...

Yay for broadband!