horribly wrong

TV Here is a comment I wrote for Neil "Syfy Love" MacDonald's guest entry at the Sunday Mercury about David Tennant's worst moments in Doctor Who which I thought I'd best post here were he'll have a chance of reading it, because their captcha system is broken:
Oh Ello! Right, yes, right!

Utopia's a bate and switch -- it seems like it's going to be one thing then turns into something else and the future kind are part of that; they're stock Doctor Who figures, somewhat like the colonists in something like Frontios. I think they're designed to be amorphous and forgettable to put us into a false sense of security ready for the final act. Not sure about the quad bikes though.

I like the flying bus in Planet of the Dead. It's probably about as close as we'll get to seeing a certain spin-off character on tv.

I totally disagree with you about Love & Monsters which I'm grinning about even as I type this. The Jackie scenes! A monster designed by a Blue Peter viewer! My Blue Sky! Implied fellatio at seven thirty on a Saturday night! What's not to love?

Fear Her is rubbish. I quite liked it first time out; begins well but totally wigs out with the inclusion of the 2012 Olympics and the Huw Edwards sections which are about as bad as the new series has been. "Bob? Not you too Bob!" About the only thing that could redeem that is if Huw Edwards ironically reprises the dialogue during the actual 2012 Olympics.

If I was writing this list it would at least include:

New Earth, a rubbish horrible first proper episode for a new new Doctor which I discovered recently was the reason a friend hasn't watched the show since. Might have worked mid-season, but splitting up the Doctor and Rose at this early stage was a mistake, and Tennant's mincing was insulting.

The smug Ghostbusters dance in Army of Ghosts and to be honest the whole premise of Army of Ghosts that people actually thought these shadows were long lost relatives. Blah. That's bait and switch going horribly wrong.

No comments: