Walking I remember watching a report on a local news programme about how the hills were being destroyed by hundred of rambler trampling over the ground, destroying everything in their boot's path. Well now there is a new danger from large vehicles and cycling groups. Ancient paths are being lost. The Ridgeway, for example, said to be Britain's oldest road is being shattered:
"Recently, however, many parts of this ancient route have been gouged into deep ruts which fill with water in wet weather and the path surface has been churned by tyres into thick mud that is almost as sticky as glue. These days you are all too likely to be confronted by a group of trail bikers or four-wheel drives. While these vehicles have a legal right to use the trail, concerns are mounting that they are destroying such ancient tracks, known as green lanes, which evolved thousands of years before the internal combustion engine."
I think the word here is 'sensitivity'. This is the kind of landscape which should be enjoyed by all, but it shouldn't be destroyed just because someone wants to get where they're going a bit quicker. That said I am glad someone invented cars and trains. I'd hate the commute if I still had to walk to Manchester ...
Commuter Life I watched a tree grow today -- I'm almost at Warrington --
You get the idea...

No comments: