Life Threw out my old University notes today. I studied Information Studies when Lycos ruled the search engines and everyone was using the first Internet Explorer or Mosaic. Checking through everything in case there was anything I really wanted to keep to one side, I was shocked at how much was obsolete. The nature of the course meant that much of the IT I studied in the first year was superceded in the second and I spent some of the third re-learning entirely much of some of the things covered in the first.

I thought that losing all of this material would be a wrench, like throwing away a section of my brain. But as I checked through photocopies and notes which haven't seen daylight for eight years I realised that over the years I'd just built on the knowledge, the out of date knowledge superceded with new ideas and facts. This was not a static subject, it's shifted and over the years I've shifted with it.

I haven't thrown out my assignments. Many of them aren't all that good and feature some embarassing typos and sentence structure even more obscure than the kind you've probably found here over the years, but some is actually quite readable and certainly worth recycling for the weblog. This long post about Film Adaptations was one of the assignments I was able to get away with on quite a dry librarian ship course. I somehow also managed to write a dissertation about Art Censorship when everyone else was analysing the provision of teaching material for ethnic minorities in the West Yorkshire area (or something equally important).

So that was just two of the nine bin bags I filled today. So if anyone was looking for a partial run of Look and Learn magazine (featuring The Trigan Empire) you've missed out I'm afraid.

No comments: