Also...

Paul Jenkins, the documentary film maker behind The Russian Newspaper Murders showing soon on BBC Four: "I had to do a security assessment, not only for myself and the crew, but also for the people taking part in the film and helping us on the ground in Togliatti. There was an uncomfortable period where one wondered whether, in fact, we were the reason for the second editor's murder because we were bringing attention to the paper's investigations. After a period of study, it became clear to me that we probably weren't responsible for the murder but we may have influenced the timing - assuming of course that it was indeed retribution for journalistic activity, and not hooligan activity as the authorities are claiming."

Conversations with the So-called "Booth Babes" of E3 2004: "It's hard," she replies. "I'm standing on my feet all day, but sometimes I break into an English accent and it helps pass the time." She flashes a warm smile, and touches my arm conspiratorially as her voice shifts easily into a London lilt. "I've learned a lot here, though. Before this, I didn't even know what an MMORPG was." [via]

Library Clock Has 'IIII' instead of'IV': "The Horological Institute says that it may be that the Romans avoided the common four in favor of IIII because I and V are the first two letters of the Latin spelling of the name for the Roman God Jupiter (Ivpiter). The institute said it also may have to do with balance, as eight is denoted as VIII and the opposite number of four also would have four letters if it was IIII." [via]

Degrassi: The Next Generation: "The acting sucks, yet you just get absorbed by the characters and their stories," says Emma Gerstein, 17, who goes to Walter Payton College Prep in Chicago. "It deals with real issues almost better than any other show I've seen. A lot of teen shows focus on a problem per episode and then move on. In 'Degrassi,' you see the character evolve." (As Banky in Chasing Amy might offer: "What can I say? I just have a thing about girls who say aboot...")

Dobbs at Metafilter offers a perspective on the passing of Brando: "Fynbo, who admittedly i had a little crush on, was so wrapped up in the film (which I assume she'd seen many times) that, even in the darkness, from the other side of the room, I could see her flush. When Brando changed T-shirts, I heard an almost inaudible whimper. Watching her watch that film is one of the most memorable moments in my life, simultaneously awakening me to the wonders of film, the power of imagination/fantasy, and the majesty of Williams' words."

No comments: