forgotten

Psychology Melysa Schmitt realises that the peer groups who were hostile to her at high school still hate her now even though she's a mother too. She's forgotten what Woody Allen said: "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would want me as a member."

Clarification and corrections: My anonymous commenter notes quite rightly that it wasn't Woody Allen who said this but Groucho Marx. Woody quotes from Groucho during Annie Hall, hence the confusion, I had Woody's voice in my head. Here's the relevant speech:

"The – the other important joke for me is one that's, uh, usually attributed to Groucho Marx but I think it appears originally in Freud's Wit and its Relation to the Unconscious. And it goes like this – I'm paraphrasing: Uh... "I would never wanna belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member." That's the key joke of my adult life in terms of my relationships with women."

Here's a useful article about the deployment of the joke in different circumstances.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woody Allen didn't say that, Groucho Marx did. You can tell because it's actually funny

Stuart Ian Burns said...

Not a fan then? What specifically do you find unfunny?

But you're right -- it was Marx -- Woody quoted from him in Annie Hall. Correction posted.