Romola on The Killer Inside Me

Film One of my favourite non-writers actress Romola Garai (non-writer as in doesn't write nearly enough) has contributed to a virtual round table on the subject of Michael Winterbottom's The Killer Inside Me for The Observer. Hers is the voice of reason:
"This whole debate is, of course, deeply self-indulgent, as most people won't see The Killer Inside Me or Antichrist. But for those that do, I don't think we watch films to agree with them but to engage with them. I don't think we shouldn't make films like these and I don't think we shouldn't see them."
Exactly. Antichrist is a horrible film, difficult to watch and yes, self-indulgent. But I still feel strengthened by the experience (as with any film I actively dislike) because it stops me from simply being a passive observer.

1 comment:

Robin Brown said...

Antichrist was certainly an experience. Not one I'd want to endure again, but I'm glad I did, if only because some of the shots looked so spectacular.

Not sure I'll watch The Killer Inside Me though.