The Spotify Playlist:
Revolution in the Headcover.



Music During the process of reading Ian MacDonald's Revolution in the Head, it became apparent to me that much of The Beatles' career was built on cover versions, which the author makes plain by placing the writer credits after the title for each track. Soon I was listening to the originals and comparing them to The Beatles versions which then led me to thinking about compiling a playlist which ultimately became a Spotify playlist covering the whole of their career, mixing the songs they recreated with their work being reinterpreted by others.

Unsurprisingly, almost every single song by the one of the most successful groups of the planet has been covered by someone even if it's an enterprise creating near identical versions to fill a gap before the back catalogue went to streaming.  On the three occasions when I couldn't find a viable replacement, I've chosen a different version to the one that's known.  The only occasion when I've selected a track credited to The Beatles over a cover version is A Long and Winding Road from the Let It Be ... Naked project, without Phil Spector's strings slathered all over them.

Otherwise, I've also tried to take a fairly scholarly approach.  If it's a song which Lennon/McCartney wrote for another band (eg, The Rolling Stones) which they also recorded, then the intended version is included.  If a track wasn't completed during The Beatles era but resurrected for a solo album, I've included that.  On a couple of occasions when a cover version simply isn't available, such as an instrumental, I've added something which influenced or was influenced by it instead.  Albertross.  Albertross.

Mostly this is just supposed to be a celebration of The Beatles place in musical history and their cross genre appeal.  Most of the great Beatles musicals are represented, although I couldn't in all conscience use the title cover for Across The Universe when the Fiona Apple version exists.  There are probably better variations of Yesterday, but I couldn't not include the Himesh Patel.  I am Sam is included thanks to Sarah Mclachlan putting her contribution, Blackbird, on a rarities compilation.  Enjoy. 

No comments: