waitrose liverpool

Web  As I've mentioned previously I have a Google Alert set up for the words waitrose AND liverpool in the hopes that one say it'll feature an article for the shop opening its doors somewhere closer to me than Formby.  Still no news, but I did learn recently about a salmonella scare in relation to their Green Pesto with Basil.  Products have been recalled.

Casey Cep of The New Yorker writes here about the serendipity of Google Alerts and it has to be said her discoveries, especially about herself, are far more interesting than potentially dangerous pecan nuts:

"Google Alerts exercise no judgment, so, in addition to sending you to your ex-boyfriend’s blog alongside The New York Review of Books, they fail to warn you the former is complaining that you got tenure before he did, while the latter is praising your academic research. As a result, they are not for the squeamish, since the good, the bad, and the unreadable appear together without any warning; the service promises content that is new, not content that is useful or desirable."

As she says, it seems to work best with topics that are either incredibly niche or very broad.  This also reminds me I need to sort of my inbox.

No comments: