Commuter Life The train this morning was almost silent as people read the collected stories of yesterday in their newspapers of choice. Silent except for the chatter of two girls more interested in their lipsticks and shoes, in denial, unable possibly to grasp the enormity of the events we've witnessed.(1) Eventually, the hush consumed them as well. This is something which has effected everybody. Something changed yesterday.
Journalism Getting the News During the Crisis Yahoo! picture story of people keeping up-to-date with the story via the written world. Like Ian McEwan of The Guardian, I sat with the screen on all of yesterday watching the events unfold live. In the evening I followed the attack through this thread at Mefi. You have to wonder if this tragedy would have happened at the World Trade Centre if we were not living in a information saturated age.
Blog! This page at Blogger has already been posted everywhere, but it would be difficult to select one story. This is something everyone is talking about.
Music In the midst of everything, PJ Harvey won the Mercury Music Prize.
Film At times like these, escapism seems the only release. I almost watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off tonight, then realised how difficult that film will be to watch now. It features ones of my top ten scenes of all time -- the scene set in the Observation Tower at the World Trade Centre as the gang look down through the window to the ground. [Edited 13/09/2001 - Actually that's incorrect. It's the Sears Tower in Chicago.] I just found that that other films are being re-edited -- the forthcoming Spiderman film for example. Oh God -- I just thought -- the twin towers are in the logo for the film Manhattan... Then I heard that Swordfish has been pulled from British cinemas because it features the destruction of a building. I've a feeling now it won't be the last...
(2) Sorry, yes, I have to step in again and apologise for how asininely sexist this. Probably thought I was Alistair Cook. I was not.
No comments:
Post a Comment