Film It all started one day as I sat in The Hyde Park Picture House in Leeds watching Ba wang bie ji in a sold out screening getting excited by the machinations of Chinese opera. It was one of the saddest yet exciting films I'd ever seen. The following week, when someone shushed me during Como agua para chocolate because I was getting into the story, I knew what my first hobby/love/interest was.

My first film (at the cinema I think) was Pete’s Dragon of all things. From there I couldn’t say. My first conscious 18 film was Robocop which I saw on video when I was 13 or 14. I saw The Empire Strikes Back before Star Wars; my first film star crush was Virginia Madsen in Electric Dreams or possibly Elizabeth Shue in Adventures in Babysitting; The first film I recorded from the TV was Starcrossed the early James Spader classic; My first DVD was The Opposite of Sex. The second was Pleasantville. The first film I walked out of was Batman and Robin, which is probably the worst film I’ve ever seen.

No comments: