really?

University Life In one of those disasterously scatterbrained moves I thought I'd left a course outline in a lecture theatre yesterday. When I returned to look for it, a different lecture was just finishing so I hung back and waited. Someone was also waiting, well ok a girl, and she seemed not at all startled as I peered through the little window in the door.

Girl: Are you here for the screening?
Me: Screening?
Girl: Yes.
Me: No. I think I left a course outline in there.
(beat)
So there's a screening in there next?
(I was having one of those days. Well, alright I'm having one of those lives.)
Girl: Yes.
Me: What is it.
Girl: Star Wars.
Me: Star Wars!?!
Girl: Yes.
Me: What course are you studying?

The girl mumbles something I don't quite understand which features 'American' 'Cultural' and 'Studies'. The course title may have been American Cultural Studies. I'm not sure.

Me: Wow. Star Wars.
(beat)
Girl: We're watching Pulp Fiction next week.

There is a pause. As usual she doesn't ask me what course I'm studying. So I tell her anyway.

Me: I'm studying Screen Studies.
Girl: Really?

I don't know it. There's just something comforting about the fact that for two hours yesterday afternoon, somewhere in the University of Manchester some people were watching Star Wars as part of their course. And if I hadn't had my own screening to go to (of this masterpiece, oddly enough) I would have sneeked in with them ... and in case you're wondering the chat didn't go anywhere else other than a goodbye ... there are probably hundreds of conversations like this between strangers throughout the university everyday. Or it's just me. Putz.

No comments: