"No, you don't understand. If we watch Borat tonight, I'm going to die ..."

Films I'm not a naturally superstitious person -- I'll walk under ladders and I really can't understand why you can't put new shoes on a table. About the only thing that gives me the heebie-jeebies are the kinds of lists that have been cropping up more and more lately recommending a certain number of somethings to see before you die, so for example this week The Guardian has a series of pull outs suggesting a thousand films to see before you die.

The reason I'm wigged out?

Wondering what happens when I've actually seen all of those films. Will it be time to die?

It's stupid, it's bizarre, it's a superstition and yes, it seriously wigs me out. A glance at Google shows that there are many different examples of this kind of list, mostly travel. The travel lists I have no problem with. The furthest I've been abroad so far is Paris for three days so if any of them have Fiji in there I'm safe.

But the films lists are a real concern. I've seen a lot of films. Of the first two hundred published today in The Guardian, I've seen about half and after I've loaded up my Lovefilm subscription I'll have seen a few more. Depending on what the next four days hold I could quite easily view my way through them all. About the only thing I can think of is to pick a film and vowing never to see it. Which is fairly easy -- for some reason they've included the Borat film which is something I've no intention of watching...

... but then I find that Channel Four have published a list of fifty films to see which frankly is irresponsible. I've seen forty of those and I really want to see the others. Yes, even Pink Flamingoes.

It's stupid, it's bizarre, it's a superstition and it's wigging me out. Especially, if some time in the future I have to use the phrase: "No, you don't understand. If we watch Borat tonight, I'm going to die ..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realise you wore a wig ! Also, if you don't watch the Borat movie you are missing out on some of the funniest cinema ever created ! ! !