at variance with sanity

Film Having faced the bitterness of not being able to see the ceremony for another year (though from what I hear I didn't miss too much this time), let's see how well I did in predicting Oscars 2011, of the categories I bothered to make prediction about (keeping in mind I still haven't seen most of these films):

Best motion picture of the year
I said: Inception
WINNER: The King's Speech

Performance by an actor in a leading role
I said: Colin Firth (The King's Speech)
WINNER: Colin Firth (The King's Speech)

Performance by an actress in a leading role
I said: Natalie Portman (Black Swan)
WINNER: Natalie Portman (Black Swan)

Achievement in directing
I said: Tom Hooper (The King's Speech)
WINNER: Tom Hooper (The King's Speech)

Art direction
I said: The King's Speech - Eve Stewart (production design), Judy Farr (set decoration)
WINNER: Alice in Wonderland - Robert Stromberg (production design), Karen O'Hara (set decoration)

Achievement in cinematography
I said: Matthew Libatique (Black Swan)
WINNER: Wally Pfister (Inception)

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
I said: Amy Adams (The Fighter)
WINNER: Melissa Leo (The Fighter)

Best animated feature film of the year
I said: Toy Story 3
WINNER: Toy Story 3

Adapted screenplay
I said: The Social Network - Aaron Sorkin
WINNER: The Social Network - Aaron Sorkin

Original screenplay
I said: Inception - Christopher Nolan
WINNER: The King's Speech - David Seidler

Best foreign language film of the year
I said: I didn't on the basis that Of Gods and Men wasn't there.
WINNER: In a Better World (Denmark)

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
I said: Mark Ruffalo (The Kids Are All Right) or Geoffrey Rush (The King's Speech) it's unclear.
WINNER: Christian Bale (The Fighter)

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (original score)
I said: Inception (Warner Bros.) Hans Zimmer
WINNER: Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (The Social Network)

Achievement in costume design
I said: Antonella Cannarozzi (I Am Love)
WINNER: Colleen Atwood (Alice in Wonderland)

Best documentary feature
I said: Exit Through the Gift Shop (Banksy and Jaimie D'Cruz)
WINNER: Inside Job (Charles Ferguson and Audrey Marrs)

Achievement in visual effects
I said: Inception (Paul Franklin, Chris Corbould, Andrew Lockley and Peter Bebb)
WINNER: Inception (Paul Franklin, Chris Corbould, Andrew Lockley and Peter Bebb)

Achievement in film editing
I said: 127 Hours (Fox Searchlight) Jon Harris
WINNER: Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter (The Social Network)

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (original song)
I said: We Belong Together (from Toy Story 3, music and lyrics by Randy Newman)
WINNER: We Belong Together (from Toy Story 3, music and lyrics by Randy Newman)


Seven. Not bad. But some of these decisions are rather at variance with sanity as ever, not least giving The Social Network best score over Inception. At least sanity reigned in the Visual Effects category.

No comments: